VIII No.37 April 1969 “It is April, and Hillsborough beckons! A diminutive Gothic Revival structure effectively situated on a high wooded knoll. The original wooden steeple decayed about 1924 and was removed. This has the approval of the tour committee and the group is sponsored by numerous organizations throughout the county.
At one point, Strait even sweetened the pot by removing his boots and offering them as part of a package deal, which sold for $130,000 alone.
Rick Kell, co-founder of Feherty's Troops First Foundation, presented Strait and Cusick each with an American flag that was used during operations Enduring Freedom and Proper Exit in Afghanistan.
53 members of the Johnson family were born in this room. Designer and builder unknown (may have been Samuel Hancock assisted by John Berry). Shepperd Strudwick shows the church to have been originally a plain brick structure with hip roof and double-hung sash windows. Details of woodwork and stair brackets come from Asher Benjamin’s Pattern books on which Berry drew heavily. 1957) Housed on the second floor in the former courtroom of the Old Courthouse. A simple, square Greek Revival building of red brick with white portico of four Ionic columns. Edmond Fanning’s House stood before the Regulators cut it from its sills, Sept 25, 1770.
Erle Hill Administrative Assistant to the General Chairman: Mrs. This is a tyr of construction seen only twice in Williamsburg where it is dated 1680 and never seen before in the Piedmont. Coman now uses as a study, in order to preserve it. Now 150 years old, this small simple church was built in 1816 in public Lot 98 (the town burial ground) by permission of town authorities. Called “the King Street Opera House” for years, the building long functioned virtually as a town auditorium. Masonic Halls stands on Lot 23, on or very near the spot where Col.
Strait participated in the roping event, and Norma Strait and Silvia Cusick made a grand entrance by riding into the rodeo arena on a pair of Texas Longhorn bulls.